Rev. Fr. Louis Savinien Dupuis
Rev. Fr. Louis Savinien Dupuis MEP, a French Missionary who spent his life in the service of the church, restoring moral customs. He dedicated himself to seek the perfection of charity in the service of God’s kingdom, for the honor of God, the building up of the church and the Salvation of the world.
Immaculate Heart of Mary Girls’ Hr.Sec.School, Puducherry, which has completed 163 years, was founded by Rev.Fr. Louis Savenien Dupuis. The plight of women and the improper upbringing of the children triggered Rev.Fr. Dupuis to take the responsibility of guiding the Franciscan Sisters who have opted for this service of educating the women. The first two nuns were Sr. Annammal and Sr. Therese Mary.
The congregation of Franciscan sisters plunged into action from St. Therese Street, Puducherry. On 16th October 1844, the Immaculate heart of Mary generalate started operating and Immaculate Heart of Mary school started operating on the very next day that was on 17th October 1844.
As there was no proper building, the school had been functioning in the first floor of the generalate convent building until the present building was donated by Mrs. Sarathambal, a well known philanthropist of Puducherry.
At the initial stage both Tamil and French languages were the media of instruction. In course of time, from co-education the school skipped to a full fledged girls’ school. In 1955, the school was upgraded into high school. From 1925 to 1956 it was a government recognized middle school. In 1955, an English Medium section was started from Class 1 to Class 3. In the year 1957, a change took place in the medium of instruction. In the place of Matriculation system, S.S.L.C. system was introduced. Then it was upgraded to a high School.
In 1978, when 10+2 system was introduced, our school was one of the very few schools selected for that. In the year 1978, the Mathematics group was introduced and in 1986, Computer group was introduced. The Commerce group was introduced in the year 2000.
The school has witnessed dedicated services of a host of eminent Principals and members of staff. Thereby it flies high with flying colours in every field.
History of Development
Birth of the school
A section with English as Medium was started - Upgraded as high school
S.S.L.C. Pattern was introduced
Started 10+2 system of education
Second group with Computer Science was introduced in Higher secondary section
Commerce group is introduced in Hr. Secondary
Our Superior General and Her Councillors
|Superior General:||Very Rev. Mother Brunolf Mary Fatima Paula|
|Vicaress General:||Sr. Finnian Mary Kurusammal|
|Financial Administrator:||Sr. Eulumpia Maria Packiam|
|Secretary General:||Sr. Theophila Mary|
|General Councillor:||Sr. Diego Mary Rosalin Theresa|
|General Councillor:||Sr. Bernard Lourdu Mary|
Our Provincial and Her Councillors
|Provincial:||Mother. Devaseer Mary Syria Pushpam|
|Vice Provincial:||Sr. Teresa Mary|
|Financial Administrator:||Sr. Cyrilla Mary Selva Rani|
|Secretary:||Sr. Terence Mary|
|Councilor I:||Sr. Diego Mary Rosalin Theresa|
|Councilor II:||Sr. Barlam Regina Mary|